“Show Me How To Sell a Pen” is a very common interview question that is asked in interviews of sales job in Chandigarh. By checking if you can sell a simple product, such as a pen, interviewer gets to know your marketing and business skills.Here, in this article, we are covering that why a hiring manager may ask you the ‘how to sell a pen’ interview question and list the best responses and review a sample answer for improving your sales technique.
Why interviewers ask the “How to Sell a Pen” interview question
Interviewers typically ask the “how to sell a pen” interview question to test your sales skills and find out if you can create a convincing sales pitch. This type of question can also be asked to learn about your sales technique, including the tactics you use to persuade customers and close a deal.
What is the best way to sell a pen in an interview?
You Should consider the following points while selling pen in an interview:
- Why the interviewer may want or need a pen
- How they might use a pen at work
- How they could benefit from purchasing a new pen
How to prepare to sell a product in an interview
- Understand the purpose of the question. The interviewer may ask you how to sell a pen in order to evaluate the level of your sales skills.
- Manipulate your answer according to the product. Different interviewer may ask you to sell different types of products according to their company or situation. While some interviewers may ask you to sell a pen, others may ask you to sell them a pencil.
- Research about the Interviewer.Knowing about the interviewer’s job and responsibilities in the company may help you create a more convincing sales pitch.
- Practise your pitch. You can write a sales pitch, practice it with a friend and use their feedback to help you improve your presentation. You can also make a video recording of your response to the question and evaluate it yourself, which may help you create a more effective presentation.
How to sell a pen in an interview
you can consider these following written steps to improve your sales technique and sell any product in an interview:
1. Ask the interviewer about their job
Before making a sales pitch, sales representatives often research prospective customers to learn why they might need the product. In a sales interview, knowing the interviewer’s position can help you predict why they might need the product you are selling and how they might use it. For example, if you are selling a pen and the interviewer is a manager, they might need the pen to sign company documents and bank cheques. Mentioning the practical benefits of the product you are selling may help you persuade them to purchase it.
2. Indicate a link between the interviewer’s job and the product
Ask the interviewer about the products that he has used before and highlight the practical benefits of the one you plan to sell. Ask the interviewer about the daily duties or the routine habits because it can reveal what they typically use the product for at work. For example, when selling a pen in an interview, you might mention how the interviewer could use different types of ink to make it easy to identify and differentiate between original documents and copies.
3. Highlight the emotional value of the product
People often buy products because they find them emotionally appealing. To highlight the emotional benefit of the product you are selling, you can talk about specific product details that might make the interviewer feel positive about their purchase. For example, when selling a product to an interviewer, you could explain that the manufacturing process is environmentally friendly, which might align with their personal values.
4. Convince them that they need the product
Smiling, Standing confident, maintaining eye contact, these kind of gestures can motivate the interviewer to purchase your product. you can encourage them to respond to your pitch about the product’s practical and emotional benefits. You can also mention how your other customers have found the product’s features useful, it can help convince them that they need the product too. For example, when selling a pen in an interview, you might highlight key features that other customers enjoy, such as long-lasting ink and a durable nib.
5. Finish the deal by selling them the product
After drawing the product’s emotional and practical value, you can mention its price and make your sale by asking the interviewer to buy it. Consider reviewing the product features the interviewer seemed most interested in and inviting them to ask questions about the product. This can help them make a purchase decision that is right for their needs.
Tips for answering the “how to sell a pen” question
Here are a few tips you can follow to help you respond to this interview question effectively:
- Prepare before the interview. You can practise answer to this interview question from various sources like Youtube or google to help you prepare to respond confidently. You can also prepare these kind of mock interviews with your friends or family to crack this question.
- Stay positive. You must have a positive and enthusiastic attitude because it helps you make a sale in an interview. This can also help the interviewer feel comfortable with your sales pitch, which will show them that why are you the best fit for the job role.
- Ask relevant questions. Asking the right questions about what your prospective customers want and need can help you with market research and enable you to improve your sales strategy. Also asking questions shows how open are you to communication which is very important in sales job.
- Emphasise the product’s value. To emphasise the value of the pen you are selling, try explaining how the pen may benefit the interviewer. Rather than focusing on its practical benefits, you might focus on how a specific pen could improve the interviewer’s life at work.
- Review the attractive aspects of the product. In your sales pitch, you can summarize the pen’s essential features and emphasise its affordable price to help you close the sale.
Example of selling a pen in an interview
Here are few examples that you can consider for the answer to the Interview Question “Show Me How To Sell a Pen”:
‘As a manager, you probably use a pen to sign company documents and plan meetings. Since you complete these tasks often, it may be necessary for you to replace your pens frequently. If you are interested in a more durable pen, please consider the latest model from our company. It is a durable fountain pen, with a dark blue surface, a high-quality rubber grip and a steel nib. Additionally, the ink is easy to refill. My customers say they can write comfortably and efficiently with this pen.’
‘If you purchase this fountain pen today, our company can offer you 50% off on a high-quality ink bottle. The price of the pen is ₹200. It comes with a free plastic case and a two-year warranty.’